Thursday, January 15, 2009

IPT&T 301 Reflection 1 How I Learned To...

I learned how to make a Oreo graham cracker pie. I am not a cook and I never make anything, so this may seem very simple and easy to some, but I learned how to do this and I am very proud of myself! The past few weeks my roommate has been making key lime pie and it has inspired me to make my own pie. The first key lime pie she ever made didn’t taste good nor did it stay together as you cut or ate it. She knew we didn’t like her creation, so she tried again the next day. This next attempt was a success! It gave me hope that if she could do something like that, I could too!

So this past week was a great excuse to try something new. I had previously watched my roommate make her pies before, so I had an idea of what to do. First, I knew I needed to do some kind of filling. I made some yummy Oreo pie filling from a box, which was very yummy. Then, I crushed a package of graham crackers to tiny pieces. My problem after this was being a poor college student and not a cook; I didn’t even have a pie pan. So, I made do with a skinny long bowl that was about the size of a pie pan. I measured out a random amount of butter; melted it, then added a random amount of sugar…(this is why I do not cook) and then I stirred in the graham crackers. While it was getting hard I remembered what my roommate did and just smashed it to the bowl to make it look like a crust. When it looked good enough, I poured the Oreo pie filling in the bowl and put in the refrigerator. Easy!

What made this whole experience worth it, was I served this pie to my roommate and my boyfriend and my boyfriend, said it was the best pie he had ever had! Wow, he sure knows how to make me feel good. I knew he wasn’t lying because my roommate asked me how I had made it, because she absolutely loved it. I explained it to her and she couldn’t believe that I didn’t measure the amount of butter, sugar, or graham cracker that I put in the crust. I guess I am just like that, I don’t always like following directions, I like watching and doing. I have been successful in school by learning new things this way. If I was to do this pie making over again, it probably would have been better to use a real pie pan, measure out everything, and even make my own filling. When cooking, I think I will stick to directions, until I am a master cook but for right now, it looks like my learning method of watching and doing has worked once again for me! :)

Here is the beautiful half-eaten Oreo graham cracker pie, it looks kind of ghetto, but this is a first time pie maker right here! YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment